If this is the case, the driver will need to be installed. A signed driver that matches the USB device running in the application project is included in the downloaded project zip file. Save the .inf file, SynergyUSBCDC.inf, to a convenient location. Then follow these simple steps:
1. Right click on the Unknown device in Device manager and select Update Driver Software...
2. Select Browse my computer for driver software
3. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
4. Scroll down and select Ports (COM & LPT) and click Next
5. Click on Have Disk...
6. When the Install From Disk dialog box comes up, Browse to the folder that holds the .inf file (SynergyUSBCDC.inf), select the file and click Open, then OK.
7. The signed driver should show up in the Model list as Synergy USB CDC/ACM. Click Next.
8. Ignore any Warnings and continue to install the driver.
9. The driver should now be installed and will show up in the Ports (COM & LPT) list as seen below.